- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Partnership Model
- Focus Areas
- Campaigns and Actions
- Public Policy
- UU College of Social Justice
- What You Can Do
- Ways to Give
- Get Involved
- Enlist Your Congregation
- Read Our Blog
- Shop in Our Store
- Media Center
- Volunteer Network Resources
- Campaign Resources
- Multimedia Resources
- Congregational Resources
Stand in Solidarity with Restaurant Workers
Support restaurant workers who are calling for better working conditions and basic improvements like paid sick days and a fair minimum wage for tipped workers.
Changing the U.S. restaurant industry is ambitious and ultimately achievable with your help.
- Join the campaign to make justice a bestseller. Buy Behind the Kitchen Door
between now and February 23 to
help put it on the bestseller list and bring national attention to the issue of restaurant
workers’ rights. Then let us know that you bought the book!
Purchases made now through Powell’s Books and Amazon count towards the bestseller list. Please consider buying from one of these retailers between now and February 23 to help put Behind the Kitchen Door on the bestseller list.
If you are making a purchase after February 23, please buy through the UUA Bookstore. And if at any time you are planning to make a bulk order of 10 or more copies, you can do that through the UUA Bookstore at 20% off! All proceeds from the book, wherever it is sold, go to support the Restaurant Opportunities Centers United, a restaurant workers’ rights organization
- Participate in a conversation with Saru Jayaraman, the author of Behind the Kitchen Door. Join the live virtual conversation for UUSC supporters with Saru Jayaraman, at 4:00 p.m. EST on February 24, offered as part of UUSC's Justice Sunday program.
Share this video:
- Use our "Paying Customer, Paying Attention" stickers to let restaurant managers and owners know that you care about how they treat their employees. Order the stickers on our website. Then place a sticker on your check (either the copy that you sign or copy that will be given back to the server or cashier) each time that you eat at a restaurant.
- Take our restaurant pop quiz!
- Read Frequently Asked Questions about Restaurant Workers and learn more about the restaurant industry and its workers.
- Sign our pledge to take a stand for restaurant worker justice.
- Watch our webinar, "Choosing Compassionate Consumption and the Restaurant Industry".
- Download and use the ROC National Diners' Guide that rates restaurants based on how they treat their workers. Our Diners' Toolkit helps you use the Diners' Guide and shows you how spread the word. You can even apply for a microgrant to help organize those who want to eat ethically.