- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Partnership Model
- Focus Areas
- Campaigns and Actions
- Public Policy
- UU College of Social Justice
- What You Can Do
- Ways to Give
- Get Involved
- Enlist Your Congregation
- Read Our Blog
- Shop in Our Store
- Media Center
- Volunteer Network Resources
- Campaign Resources
- Multimedia Resources
- Congregational Resources
Media and Public Relations Specialist
Reports to: Director of Communications
Based in UUSC's Washington D.C.'s office, the Media and Public Relations Specialist provides primary oversight over UUSC's engagement with the media and other key external entities, designing and implementing media strategies to promote UUSC's institutional profile. The Media and Public Relations Specialist is also a key member of the Communications Department's Editorial Team, helping to set editorial directions for communications vehicles and drafting original articles for publication in UUSC's print and electronic media.
- Design and implement an overall strategy for raising UUSC's profile among a wide variety of media outlets and other key external audiences.
- Write and edit a variety of communications vehicles including press releases, newsletters, op-eds, media statements, articles, and online content
- Build relationships with reporters and proactively formulate and pitch stories ideas that help broaden awareness and increase visibility for the organization and the issues it works on.
- Conduct outreach to national bloggers.
- In coordination with the Senior Associate for Online Advocacy, develop and maintain a social media PR strategy to cultivate and maintain relationships with journalists and raise awareness of UUSC.
- Monitor media outlets for topical story ideas, to be leveraged as potential op-eds, letters to the editor, social media posts, etc.
- Serve as a key spokesperson as needed for UUSC.
- Arrange for media interviews with other key UUSC spokespersons, including executive staff and other senior staff.
- Develop and maintain a pool of UUSC "experts" to offer to media as interview subjects on issues within their expertise.
- Maintain a comprehensive archive of all UUSC media mentions.
- Provide ongoing media training for UUSC staff.
- Develop and maintain relationships with public affairs contacts at key colleague organizations.
- As a member of the Editorial Team, contribute to setting editorial directions for key UUSC communications vehicles.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- Extensive knowledge of the U.S. media and a track record of at least 5 years of successful media outreach experience, including high-level placements.
- Excellent writing, editing and public speaking skills.
- Ability to act quickly and to effectively pitch story ideas.
- In-depth knowledge of social media and ability to employ social media in the public positioning of UUSC.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with relevant media and PR contacts and steadily expand UUSC's network via direct personal contact.
- Strong self-organization, planning, and time management skills, and meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to manage relationships with external media consultants.
- A demonstrated personal commitment to UUSC's human rights mission.
- Experience in public relations around human rights or other global issues preferred.
- Ability to take effective individual initiative, within the highly collaborative context of UUSC's Communications Department.
- Media training experience preferred.
- Ability to travel regularly to the home office in Cambridge MA and other locations as necessary.
- Bachelor's Degree required. Master's degree preferred.
Non-Discrimination and Equal Employment opportunity: UUSC is highly committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment. People with disabilities, people of color, and people from minority communities are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates may email a cover letter and résumé in confidence to: email@example.com
Or mail to:
Universalist Service Committee
Attn: Director of Human Resources
689 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge MA 02139
|Job Description [PDF]||32.06 KB|