Continue the Sharps’ Mission: What You Can Do to Defy Hate
Defying the Nazis: The Sharps’ War, aired on PBS on Tuesday, September 20, at 9:00 p.m. ET
This documentary, produced by Ken Burns and Artemis Joukowsky, the Sharps’ grandson, tells the compelling personal story of two of UUSC’s founders and their two-year mission to save hundreds of refugees in Europe beginning in 1939.
But their story doesn’t stop there. Today, more refugees than ever before face similar dangers to the people saved by the Sharps: persecution, isolation, deprivation, and violence. In short, they face hate.
Below are links to a few actions planned by UUSC, the UUA, and other organizations to raise awareness of the needs of today’s refugees and provide them with the support they need to defy hate.
Preach-In Resources Here
On the weekend of September 23 through 25, following the screening of Defying the Nazis on PBS, UUSC is organizing a Defying Hate Preach-In at religious communities nationwide. Ministers and faith leaders can find a list of resources to help prepare for the preach in here:
- Hymns and Songs
- Theological Reflections by Rev. Paul Langston-Daley
- Theological Reflections by Rev. Sara LaWall
- Small Group Reflections
- Religious Texts
- Meditations and Readings
- Preach-in insert
Additionally, the UUA, UUSC, and the Fahs Collaborative at Meadville Lombard Theological School have collaborated in creating the Defying the Nazis UU Action Project. The project includes a “#WeDefy” action guide with resources including the an interfaith discussion guide and UUSC’s refugee advocacy toolkit. The action guide and other resources can be found at http://www.uua.org/action/defying-nazis-sharp-story.
- Learn how you can continue the work of the supporting and advocating for refugees with Building Bridges: Refugee Support and Advocacy Toolkit.
- Sign up for the Refugee Rapid Respone Network to receive updates and special alerts on today’s refugee crisis and what you can do.
- Host a film-related event this fall and Sign your group or congregation up and stay tuned for congregational resources at uua.org/sharpstory.
Defying Hate Webinars
This special “sneak peek” webinar will help you and your congregation make the most of the PBS documentary, Defying the Nazis: The Sharps’ War. Hear remarks from UUSC President & CEO Tom Andrews about the current situation, learn about the national “Defy Hate” preach-in, as well as advocacy and other supportive actions you can take to support to Syrian and Central American refugees. Click the link to watch the video.
Many feel fear and anxiety at the increasing intensity of the polarization in our communities and our world. How do we respond to hate language in the public sphere? How is this balanced with First Amendment Right to free speech? What tools can we use to respond to the vitriol when we hear it?
Join us as we talk with experts and explore effective ways of responding to public expression of bigotry and hate. The second webinar in our “Defying Hate” series aims to draw inspiration from the Sharps’ story and other examples of moral courage, providing concrete ideas on how to combat hate in your own community. This video will be available soon.
Learn and Explore
- Find out more about how UUSC started
- Look back at our rich 75-year history and read inspiring stories of impact
- Learn more about the UUA’s #WeDefy – Defying the Nazis UU Action Project