The Unitarian Universalist Service Committee advances human rights through grassroots collaborations.
2 minutes, 13 seconds
February 13, 2014
Today, on 2/13, I am asking you to take 2 minutes and 13 seconds to advance economic justice.
Call the Senate right now at 866-204-2557.
Tell them that you support raising the regular federal minimum wage and the minimum wage for tipped workers, too. This call will take you no more than 2 minutes and 13 seconds — maybe even less!
Why 2/13? Because the tipped minimum wage has been stuck at $2.13 per hour since 1991. It’s a moral outrage. And so is the minimum wage for non-tipped workers: a paltry $7.25 per hour. Activists around the country will be contacting Congress today in protest. We need you to call now, because the Senate is getting ready to debate the Harkin Fair Minimum Wage Act soon.
Recently, I took our moral statement on the minimum wage, signed by more than 14,000 UUSC supporters like you, to senators in Washington, D.C. It made an impact! Now it’s time for your senators’ offices to hear your voice on the phone.
Call 866-204-2557 today to be connected to one of your senators.
Say the following:
- Hello, my name is [first and last name], and I live in [city, state].
- I am calling in support of raising federal minimum wage, including the tipped minimum wage, which has been $2.13 since 1991.
- When the Senate debates the minimum wage this spring, please support the Harkin Fair Minimum Wage Act and speak out in favor of increasing both the regular and tipped minimum wages.
That’s all you need to say! If you’d like to make additional points, you could also add these:
- It’s an outrage that the current regular minimum wage is $7.25 per hour and the tipped minimum wage is $2.13 per hour. Hardworking people deserve to make a living wage.
- The minimum wage is more than a political issue — it is a moral issue.
- The minimum wage should be raised to at least $10.10 per hour, and the tipped minimum needs to be at least 70 percent of that.
- The bill number for the Harkin Fair Minimum Wage Act is S. 1737 (in case you are asked when you call).
If we all join together and speak up, we could make this the last 2/13 with a federal tipped minimum wage of $2.13. Let’s get it done! Call 866-204-2557 now, before the Senate starts debating. Don’t let tipped workers get left behind!