Spring 2021 Action Alert: Join people of conscience as they advocate for the shutdown of family detention centers!
Here are some action steps:
- Support the Shut Down Berks Campaign’s e-mail storm to the Biden administration – learn more here.
- Follow Shut Down Berks on social media.
- Berks, Dilley, and Karnes Family Detention Centers are all part of the #FirstTen campaign of Communities Not Cages, of which UUSC is an official partner. The Biden administration must commit to ending immigration detention and using alternatives by taking the first step of closing the “first ten” facilities which are emblematic of the abuses and conditions in detention. Learn more and take action for the #FirstTen campaign or click here to sign the petition.
Violence, impunity, and corruption have forced thousands of Central Americans to flee their homes. All people have the rights to safety, human dignity, and a process to seek asylum. Yet when they flee, migrants face further dangers and abuses designed to deter them from their journey. Upon reaching the United States, they can be detained, prosecuted, or have their family members taken from them. After years spent building their lives in the United States, they may still be at risk of deportation.
Learn more about these issues here: The Right to Safety in Central America
As with all of our initiatives, we focus our grant-making and partner support on grassroots organizations working for systemic change. We believe that connecting groups across the migrant trail from El Salvador to Mexico to the United States will create a strong movement centered on the rights of people, not borders.
Learn more about how we do this work:
- UUSC Heads to the Capitol to Support Central American Immigrants
- Flood the Desert Action Highlights Dire Need to Support, Uplift Migrants
- Homestead: Who’s Profiting from Detaining Kids?
Here are some of our partners:
- Freedom for Immigrants
- Fundación Para la Justicia y El Estado Democrático de Derecho
- Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights
- No More Deaths
- UndocuBlack Network