The Unitarian Universalist Service Committee advances human rights through grassroots collaborations.
Resources for Clergy
Addressing Hateful Speech and Polarization in Communities and Schools
This Defying Hate webinar explores how to create a different environment by reshaping the narrative of our polarized society. View the webinar.
- Catherine Orsborn, campaign director, Shoulder to Shoulder
- Rev. Jake Morrill, minister, Oak Ridge Unitarian Universalist Church, Tenn.
- Rev. Derrick Hammond, pastor, Oak Valley Baptist Church, Tenn.
- Chief James T. Akagi, chief of police, Oak Ridge, Tenn.
- Dr. John Bailie, president, International Institute for Restorative Practices
Providing Solidarity and Sanctuary
- Tools for effective congregational action in a heightened time of hostility and violence and possible deportations:
- Solidarity and Sanctuary webinar: review a survey of strategies appropriate for congregations of many sizes and political contexts, and hear from grassroots leaders from communities at highest risk, and learn about inspiring examples of what some UU congregations are already doing. View the webinar for clergy or view the webinar for all congregation members.
- Congregational Action Guide: an overview of ways to proactively organize to support sanctuary and solidarity in your congregation and community. View the guide (pdf).
- Refugee welcome signs. Invite members of your congregation to print and display these signs at their homes, or canvass your community and invite businesses and individuals to display these signs of solidarity.
- Faith in Action Resources:
Responding to Racist Attacks
This collection of resources offers techniques for combatting racism and making our shared communities safer for all of us, in particular for those who are most at risk.
- Who, If Not You – Bystander Intervention. View the handout (pdf).
- Don’t be a Bystander: 6 Tips for Responding to Racist Attacks. View the Barnard College video.
- Deescalation and Interventions: View the video.
- Responding to Islamaphobia (please note: do not touch someone without their permission). View the handout (pdf).
- Anti-Racism Rubric for UU Congregations (pdf).
- UU Defying the Nazis Action Project
UU Leadership Institute
Community organizing and movement building: Organizing on the Side of Love with Caitlyn Breedlove (6-part class). View the videos.
- Interfaith Worker Justice:
- IWJ Faith/Labor Affiliates (password protected)
- Affiliated Workers Centers
- Labor Day Worship, Observe Labor Sunday: Resource from Rev. Alison Farnham, Fort Meyers UU Congregation. View the handout (pdf).