The Unitarian Universalist Service Committee advances human rights through grassroots collaborations.
UUSC listens deeply to people carrying the heaviest burdens of danger, unrest, and oppression, and responds compassionately in the ways they tell us they need. We steward our finances and think critically about the impact of our funds on the environment, on the systems around us, and on the people within those systems.
Below are some examples of that stewardship:
- UUSC funded and facilitated several partner convenings, bringing together communities, advocates, and grassroots groups working on similar issues to develop locally-led solutions to the most pressing threats to safety, rights, and wellbeing.
- UUSC’s advocacy alongside hundreds of civil society groups helped advance international justice and accountability by pressuring the US government to formally declare that the Burmese military has been committing genocide against the Rohingya Muslim minority.
- UUSC responded to unexpected disasters through its Emergency Response Fund, providing resources to meet immediate needs and developing a long-term recovery strategy to get funding into the hands of local organizations working to determine the economic, social, and cultural future of affected communities.
- UUSC’s Congregational Accompaniment Program for Asylum-Seekers (CAPAS) mobilized communities of faith to provide housing, food, and transportation, as well as connect asylum-seekers with legal and medical assistance, English language instruction, and employment training.
- UUSC provided flexible funding and research support to meet the unique needs of different communities, such as providing funds for upgraded seawalls and sustainable homes to Kioa islanders facing climate-forced displacement.
UUSC is a 501(c)(3) organization. All donations are tax deductible to the extent permitted by law. UUSC’s tax ID is 04-6186012.
UUSC has earned the highest possible rating from Charity Navigator, America’s largest independent evaluator of nonprofit organizations. This rating indicates UUSC’s sound fiscal management, accountability, and transparency in our operations.
Image Credit: Equality Bahamas