The Unitarian Universalist Service Committee advances human rights through grassroots collaborations.
What’s at Stake
November 26, 2014
All weekend, big box retailers are looking to you to cash in on the backs of workers and the earth. Instead of waiting in line overnight to spend money at businesses that don’t share your values of economic and environmental justice, head over to the Good Buy! There you can choose from hundreds of gifts that are sweatshop-free, union- or cooperative-made, and environmentally sustainable.
Your purchases are packed and shipped by union staff at UUSC in Massachusetts — not faceless robots or underpaid workers in an offshore warehouse. We practice principled operations, purchases, and processes every day, putting our social justice values into action and helping shape a new economy that utilizes solidarity and cooperation, not exploitation.
How’s that for a holiday miracle? Celebrate the spirit of the season and honor those you love with ethically sourced gifts from the Good Buy! And don’t forget that these feel-good gifts go a step further: net proceeds support UUSC’s human rights programs around the world. Check out some of my favorites below — as you can tell, it’s hard to choose!
- Fresh-picked pecans (perfect for pies!) from Southern Alternatives Agricultural Cooperative, the only pecan processing plant in the United States owned and run by African American women
- Beautiful hand-poured candles from women refugees who have resettled in the United States and now earn a living wage through Prosperity Candle
- Locally sourced small-batch jams — like bourbon blueberry and strawberry rose, each with all-natural ingredients — from the Jam Stand
- Seasonal must-haves like all-natural lip balms from Badger, organic fair-trade hot cocoa from Equal Exchange, and Guatemalan scarves from A Thread of Hope
- Apparel, bags, notebooks, and more from United By Blue, which helps remove one pound of trash from U.S. waterways with each purchase
- Stocking stuffers under $10 — to fit any budget!
- Tree-free sustainable wrapping paper and hemp twine to put the finishing touches on your gifts
We know you can’t shop your way to a better world, but when the season calls for responsible gift giving, the Good Buy from UUSC is here to help! Make the choice to make a difference. Say hello to the Good Buy.