The Trump administration’s immigration policy is an affront to basic humanitarian principles and human rights values. As we resist this anti-immigrant administration, we need your support in helping people fleeing violence and instability in their home countries and seeking asylum in the United States. Read our suggestions on how to get involved below.
Take direct action
Contact your elected officials to share your concerns about human rights violations happening at the U.S.-Mexico border and along the migrant trail:
- Shut down Homestead: Add your name to the petition co-sponsored by UUSC, the Unitarian Universalist Association, the American Friends Service Committee, Daily Kos and others, to shut down the camp in Homestead, Florida that is detaining migrant children.
- Tell Congress to pass legislation supporting Dreamers, DED and TPS holders: Protect immigrants from the Trump administration’s xenophobic policies by providing them with a path to citizenship.
- Protect human rights in Honduras: Tell your legislators to ensure U.S. foreign aid to Honduras and domestic immigration policy reflect the best of U.S. values and do not support oppressive government violence.
You can also speak out on immigrant rights and family separation by responding to local news articles and op-eds with a letter to the editor (LTE). Learn about how to submit an LTE and get sample content here.
- Accompaniment: Accompaniment helps stop deportations, reduce bond fees, and keep families together. By centering people’s dignity and choices in a system that takes away dignity and choices, we care for those who are criminalized for their being. Learn more at Love Resists.
- Learn more about the anti-racist practice for expanded sanctuary, accompaniment, and resistance through the online course, Changing Systems, Changing Ourselves.
- Offer physical or expanded sanctuary: More information can be found at Love Resists and in the Sanctuary Toolkit.
Other Ways to Get Involved
Volunteer. Please visit the UU College of Social Justice volunteer page to see the latest opportunities.
Show Solidarity. For ways to help asylum-seekers in your own community and beyond, please see this list, compiled by Love Resists.